The Keto Diet: Does it Actually Work?
Many people have heard of the keto diet in recent years, even though some variation of it has been around for decades. If it has piqued your interest, you’re not alone. Many want to know if this diet actually works like you have heard or read on the internet. The keto diet promotes a quick way to lose weight and combat several different health issues. Read on to find out if the keto diet actually works the way many claims it does.
What exactly is keto?
The keto diet is designed to make your body burn fat instead of carbs for fuel. If you don’t eat carbs, your body produces something called ketones which the liver makes from fats in your body. The body then switches to using only fat to burn for energy, making it easier for you to lose weight. Not only is this a good thing if you are trying to lose weight, but it can also make you feel like you are more focused and alert than normal. The state your body goes into by switching to burning fat is called ketosis. The keto diet is a sustainable way to get your body to remain in ketosis and keep burning fat off.
How does the keto diet work?
People put their body into ketosis by consuming a low amount of carbs, and a high amount of fat. So in order for the diet to actually work for you, you’ll need to completely restrict what you eat. In order to keep your body in a state of ketosis and for the diet to help you burn fat, Diet Doctor suggests you keep your daily carb intake under 50 grams a day, and ideally under 20 if you want it to work best for you.
Food and Beverages to Eat:
- Natural fats: These include olive oil, butter, and heavy cream.
- Meats: Meat has no carbs and allows you to get the protein everyone needs in their diet.
- Vegetables that grow above ground: Broccoli, kale, cauliflower, and bell peppers are just a few of the vegetables that are low-carb.
- Cheese: All non-processed cheeses have no carbs and high-fat content so it’s a great tasting food you can have on the diet that actually helps the diet work.
- Diet Shakes: Companies like Konscious Keto makes diet shakes specifically formulated to give you the fats for the energy you need without the carbs.
- Water, Coffee, Tea: All of these have no carbs if you don’t add any sugar.
Food and Beverages to Avoid:
- Bread: Any bread has a high amount of carbs and would need to be avoided if you want the diet to actually work for you.
- Pasta: Pasta also has a high amount of carbs.
- Processed foods: These types of foods always have a high carb count so you will always want to avoid them.
- Soda: Soda, or even any drink with a lot of sugar in it, will not help keep your body in ketosis.
- Beer, wine: Beer has many carbs in it. The drier the wine, the fewer carbs it has in it but it is to be consumed in moderation. Sweet wines have many carbs and its best to steer clear of them.
How can I make the diet effective?
The key to actually making the diet work for you is all about paying attention to the number of carbs you are actually consuming. By following the rules of the diet, it can actually work. Educating yourself about foods and beverages is also essential in sticking to the diet according to U.S. News. Another important component is making sure you are doing it correctly. If you do not, it can make you feel sick and may make you need to stop the diet. The first week of the diet can be tough to get through because your body is adjusting, but after your body is used to burning fat for fuel instead of carbs it will make a real difference.