During the early days or just after the childbirth doctors usually do not allow to give the newborn any types of solid food because at this period of time feeding the child with own milk is very beneficial than all the other alternatives because of the immature digestive system. It is also said that breastfeeding during the early stage also helps the mother recover faster from the childbirth. Where this is the only food your child should be offered when he or she is less than 4 months of age, as there are several benefits related to this habit like this makes the child digestive system stronger, they also have a low rate of diseases etc. However, it is said, during the first year the primary source of nutrients of very young children should be milk, but it has been seen that as soon as the newborn enter the 4th month he is no more satisfied with the only milk and their tongue longs for tastes. Even for expanding the eating capabilities a child needs to be given a lot of nutrients from 4 months to 1 year or after he is about to enter half a month after birth till one year.
However, just knowing this fact is not enough a child nurse or the mother also needs to know what to feed and what not to feed at the beginning. There is actually a need to plan a lot of things in your kitchen for your baby just after he enters 4 months of age. Homemade recipes not only saves money but this habit is also good for health.
Here, we have a list of things you need to know for your baby to nourish him with nutrients at the initial age so that he remains healthy forever. so learn about Nutrients of very young children from four months to one year from this page and make your newborn healthy.
What to Feed From 4-6 months?
When your kid is just 4 months old, you know he cannot chew so try to give your child a puree of every edible substance whether it be fruit or vegetable. Remember, that the baby stomach is just as small as his fists, so try to feed him accordingly and not in a heavy quantity which will perhaps give you negative results.
You do not have to go for all the things you see in the grocery, the best option when you want to start is to start with the cereals. Probably, Oatmeal and Rice cereal are available in the shops for the babies of this age which everyone knows, but there are few other options for nursing your child with the nutrient that you should go for at the beginning like banana and avocado where these two need not to be cooked over.
- Banana- peel off the banana and cut small slices, now make the puree of these pieces which you give your baby and extra puree can be stored in a clean container for the second time, but if your feed fresh it is better.
Your second cereal puree option may consist of some other like carrot, green peas butternut squash need to be cooked to feed.
- Carrot- Steam the small cubes of carrot and then process it until it is smooth. Now add a teaspoon of water every time till it is cooked. You can give a very little quantity at the beginning like 2 small cubes and then increase the diet to 4 cubes after few days.
- Green peas- It is not necessary that your green peas are just like the smooth carrot puree, you can thicken you green peas while preparing. You can add your breast milk or water at the time of reheating.
Do not give solid food to your baby at this age, you can only give if it is soft and can be swallowed without chewing. I would also remind you to avoid too much of fruits every time as it is cold in nature and too much of it may cause cold to your baby, also do not serve if the baby has some sort of digestive problem. Perhaps you can always go for banana and avocado.
As all the adult have different taste choice your child may also appreciate very few things. The baby may not go for vegetables or other things. However, most of the baby like to have strong sweet taste, so you can also add mashed apple and pears to your list when the baby is approximately 6 months.
Although there are so many vegetables in your fridge you cannot go for all of them when your baby is only 4-6 months of old. Vegetables with lots of fiber should be strictly avoided now and try to serve cooked veggies until your child is 12 months.
Avoid vegetables of strong taste like Cabbage, Parsley, Egg Plant, Sweet peppers, Celery, Tomatoes, Onions, Cabbage, Artichokes, and Turnips.
Go for vegetables like Carrot, French beans, Spinach, Pumpkin, Green Peas and Courgette(skinless and seedless) which are very light vegetables and are the great source of nutrients too.
You can also give to baby products, like fromage frais, yogurt, or custard, but never replace the breast milk unless your baby is 1 year.
Apart from all the above nutrients for your young one, you can slowly progress with adding a few proteins to the list like meat, fish or eggs and see that you cook the with no pink areas left. You baby have an immature digestive system, therefore, meats and other non-veg are very hard substance to digest, but at the same time, you need protein for the baby too. So perfectly cooking an egg, fish or meat matters and remember that you add no salt to the dish and also feed in a very light quantity. Strictly avoid the meat offal and cured meat.
Now, you know what to feed when your child is going to be 6 months old, but remember that you only pick one food at a time from the above chart. Also, try to notice the sign of allergy or intolerance if any from any food consumption, then just uncheck it from your chart.
What To Feed From 8 – 10 months?
You child is pretty grown up now and his eating capabilities have also been increased as too many edible substances has been fed since the child was 4 months old. Now, when the baby is 8 months you can change your habit of feeding on one nutrient to a combination of meal a day, but do not start is suddenly, just add up to the combination slowly.
You should never replace your milk unless your child is 12 months old, but you can give other things to your child when he is hungry at this time. Forget! If you are thinking of cow’s milk now, because your baby is still not in the condition to go for that. No matter whatever supplements you provide to the young one 500ml of infant formula in a day should be given to a baby to balance its diet.
What Else to Feed?
Although you have to give a combination of food now, you can keep continuing with the others which you had been giving to your child. Perhaps you can also add few others in your list.
- Meal- You can smoothen the brown rice with the oatmeal and mix it with the pear sauce and feed your baby in a very small portion. Go for all the cereals you have been offering your child since four months of age.
As now the baby is habituated to take fruits without allergy, you can go for a combination of fruits now that could be easily digested and are obviously smooth. You can surely go for Baby Finger Food as we know that the baby still is not that mature to hold things and feed themselves, but the aim of Finger Food is to make the child pick food easily and mash it in their gums.
At this age of your child you can try a combination of vegetable, but offer the child smooth cooked vegetables. There can be 2-3 servings of vegetables and fruits every day. Potato mash is the best vegetable choice to make your child have good taste and satisfied stomach
Snacks for your baby includes all the dairy products as told above like yogurt, but now it’s time to add a few more to the list like raisins, cheese cubes, rice cakes, bread sticks and chopped fruit
The protein food what you have been told to provide before should be increased now. You can also give your child thin pulse with other protein products as pulses are also a great source of protein.
Few Baby Finger Foods
- Peeled apple and Pears
- Bread Sticks and toasts
- Steamed and cold carrot sticks
Other foods that can develop a chewing habit in your child after he is 7 months chapatti, pitta bread, and pasta.
Food that Needs To Be Avoided
- Avoid Processed Sugary Products and even a lot of sugar and salt composition in any food.
- Do not provide junk foods and see that you provide healthy snacks.
- You are recommended to provide water during the meal times, but never replace your milk with water.
- Never force a child to eat, but see that you try it later.
- Avoid providing the same diet every day, keep changing it accordingly.
- See that you do not provide fried foods at this time.
- Do not feed cow’s milk or packet milk.
What To Feed From 10 -12 months?
When your baby has entered 10 months you can slowly expand the plate with extra items and new flavors, but try to provide smashed food whether it be veggies or proteins like egg yolk, fish or meat.
- Offer all types of cereals like grains and pasta, but check that they are slightly smooth.
- You can now provide all types of fruits to your baby as he has been adapted to it and will suffer from no allergy or digestive problems, but see that you feed inaccurate quantity the baby needs not as much as desired.
- Baby Finger fruits and vegetables should be still offered to your child to make the baby learn to hold things pick them and also eat few things on their own.
- Though you may continue with the mother’s milk, but still sometimes mixing up with other will not matter.
- Tomatoes and citrus fruits which were not healthy for the child, in the beginning, can be introduced by this time.
Giving nutrition of very young children, from 4 months to 1 year is very important. Your baby is very much your responsibility and its health depends upon what you have been choosing to feed, so be careful and introduce things slowly so that the baby digestive system can adapt the changes!
You can search us again :
- nutrition in 4months and above , vegetable puree for babies pictures