They say that if you want to change your look completely and feel like a new person, you should start with your hair, and when it comes to dramatic hair changes, the past couple of years have been very eventful. Mermaid hair, blunt bobs, grey hair, big volume, super sleek and glossy hair, these are just a few of the major hair trends that we’ve seen both on celebrities and in real life.
Even if you’re not the kind of person to keep up with trends, it’s impossible not to be curious about one of these ideas. But what happens if it doesn’t look so good on you or you get bored of it after a while? Don’t worry, there are many natural ways to change your hair without dyeing it or making a long-term commitment. If your hairstyle has been feeling pretty dull lately and you’ve been feeling adventurous, these simple, non-committal ways to spice up your look will offer you all the fun, with none of the regrets.
Use natural temporary hair dyes
If you’re a fan of natural beauty products, then most box hair dyes are probably on your NO list. And you’re right to ditch them. Most commercial hair dyes are not only harsh to your hair, making it dry and brittle, but also potentially harmful to your health. Not a cheap price to pay for being part of the bandwagon, right?
So, does this mean that you’re stuck with your hair color forever? Not at all. Natural hair products are a fast-growing market, so apart from all the amazing organic haircare that’s been hitting the shelves lately, you can also buy natural temporary coloring solutions.
Depending on how long you want the results to last, you can play around with options such as:
- Natural hair chalk: perfect for coloring the ends of your hair until the next wash, natural hair chalk is the perfect option if you want to create a fun festival look.
- Henna: this is one of the most popular ways to change your hair color naturally. Natural henna has a dark red color, but it can also be mixed to create brown to almost-black shades. Depending on your natural hair color, henna lasts for up to six weeks.
- Natural ingredients such as carrots, beet juice, and coffee are great for adding brilliance and tint to your hair, without changing its color drastically.
Wear hair extensions
Do celebs like Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Lopez and Ariana Grande have you sighing for long, goddess tresses, but you can’t get your hair to grow past that awkward shoulder length? Here’s an industry secret: most celebrities with long hair wear extensions and you can do this too if you don’t wait to wait. Emilia Clarke, Katy Perry, Kylie Jenner, and Zendaya don’t really change their hair for every red-carpet appearance. Instead, they use Remy hair wings made of natural human hair, which look just like the real thing.
Clip-in hair extensions are the easiest way to get long hair instantly and experiment with various looks, without the commitment. Or fix a hair disaster, if you’re unlucky.
Here are just a few styles you can try:
- Get hair extensions in a lighter color to fake the ombre and balayage effect
- Use clip-in hair extensions at the root to add volume to your hair and make it look fuller
- Use fringe extensions for a dramatic change. If you don’t love it, you can always take it off!
Extensions can be styled and dyed just like your natural hair but keep in mind that they require just as much protection. To get the most out of your extensions, use quality hair care and styling products.
Get a faux bob
It’s one of the craziest whims of fashion to have two opposing hair trends at the same time. One day you’re swooning over Sofia Vergara’s flowy locks and the next Hailey Bieber is rocking her new bob hairstyle. If you have extensions, you can easily remove them as you please and enjoy the best of both worlds, but what if you really waited three years to grow out your hair?
Are you just going to cut it? If that’s what you want, then go for it, but if you’re not sure you’ll love the shorter length, here’s how you can fake a bob haircut:
- Divide your hair into two ponytails and secure each with an elastic. Then, lock them in place underneath, using four hairpins for each side (you can use more pins if you have thick hair). To make sure everything stays in place, fishing off with some hair spray. The result is a casual, messy bob that looks just like the real thing!
- In winter, tuck your hair in your sweater or jacket to hide the ends and create the illusion of a medium bob.
If you love the way a bob haircut frames your face and everyone praised your little experiment, then you can go ahead and cut your hair with no regrets. If not, you can always go back to your long hair and stick to faking the bob every once in a while.
The parting trick
Do you ever look at a friend and feel that something’s definitely different, even though she didn’t dye her hair and didn’t get a haircut? It’s the parting. The way you part your hair can change your entire look and just a few millimeters off will make you look like a different person. There are health reasons why you should do this too. After parting your hair in the same way for years, the hair on that side will begin to thin out, and in time you may even develop balding spots. The trickiest part to get right is the middle one, which can overaccentuate skin imperfections or make you look too young. Stylists say that most face shapes don’t look flattering with a parting that splits exactly in the middle, so going just a few inches off may be a better option.