Does baby oil help you tan ?
Deeply glowing bronzed body is in thing now. Perfectly tanned body is like a dream come true. People follow many methods to tan their skin. Are you one amongst them? Do you want to tan your skin? Are you striving to have sun kissed skin? Are you planning to use baby oil to help you tan? If yes, then stay tuned. In this article, we will tell you everything about using baby oil for tanning and how safe it is or not.
Why baby oil is preferred than other oils?
Baby oil delivers faster and quicker result when compared to other oils and because of this, people preffer to use baby oil.
Does baby oil help you tan?
Yes, baby oil helps in tanning. But it has its own side effects.
- When baby oil is applied to the skin, the oil acts as a reflector. It attracts the sun rays and allows it to penetrate deep inside the skin and helps in creating darker skin tone.
- To have an even and uniform tanning people use baby oil.
- Baby oil stays on the skin for a longer time when compared to other lotions and hence helps in tanning faster.
- It helps in creating a long lasting tan.
- People in 60’s, 70’s and 80’s spent hours outdoor to have a perfect tan. They did not know the negative effects caused by tanning. At those times, it was a common practice to apply baby oil all over the body and lie out in the sun for hours.
- Today doctors have declared that using baby oil for tanning is very harmful to the skin.
Are you aware of the harsh effects caused by using baby oil for tanning?
Baby oil does not offer any protection against suns harsh rays because it does not contain sunscreen and it is just a moisturizer. The rays can damage the skin and can cause various skin problems. So it is recommended to apply sunscreen before applying baby oil.
You can mix sunscreen and baby oil together and then apply it on the skin to protect yourself from the harsh rays.
Pros of using baby oil for tanning:
- Baby oil offers even tanning.
- It helps in faster tanning.
- Makes the skin soft and smooth.
- Allows the suns rays to penetrate deeper into the skin.
- Helps in obtaining bronzed colored skin.
Cons of using baby oil for tanning:
- Baby oil can make the skin sensitive.
- The chances of sunburn are more.
- The burn takes several days to heal.
- It may also cause skin cancer because it doesn’t act as a sunscreen.
- Causes cellular damage to the skin.
Hence apply sunscreen before using baby oil for tanning or blend baby oil with sunscreen and then apply it on your skin.
Remember, tanning is a gradual process –
- Do not spend the whole day out in sun to tan your skin.
- Our body produces melanin to protect our skin; if you spend a whole day out then you will end up with sun burns.
- If you want to increase the melanin production, then expose your body regularly for a shorter period of time and this will help you get a long term tanning.
Can baby oil help in tanning? Let us find out.
- Because of the quicker tanning, we get tempted to use baby oil on our skin.
- Oil definitely nourishes our skin, but it does not offer any protection from harsh UV rays.
- Oil attracts sunrays and this burns our skin and gives a brown shaded skin.
- If you want to tan your skin desperately, then use baby oil.
- Do not forget to hydrate yourself with lots of fluids.
- Avoid tanning at the peak hours (afternoon).
- Never forget to use sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun.
Is baby oil good for sunburn?
Are you planning to use baby oil on sunburn? Let us find out whether it soothes the blistered and burning skin.
Sunburns are extremely painful. Using baby oil does not offer any protection against harmful sunrays; hence it should not be used to treat sunburn.
- If you are suffering from sunburn, then take a cold bath to cool down the skin.
- You can even apply a cold pack.
- Never apply oil of sunburn, because oil does not allow the heat to escape from the skin and hence the result can be worst.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Apply lotions to moisturize your skin.
Tips to enhance and have a prolonged tan without causing any damage to skin:
It is always better to take care to have a safe sun kissed glow, right? So follow the below mentioned tips.
Tip No. 1: Big NO to sunbeds or tanning bed
- As we all know UV rays are divided into UVA and UVB.
- UVB helps in stimulating vitamin D.
- Sunbeds or tanning beds pump a lot of UVA and has a increased risk of skin cancer.
Tip No. 2: Use the right sunscreen lotion
- Are you confused between choosing a sunscreen with SPF 30 and SPF 50?
Well, it is better to use SPF 30 over SPF 50.
- Reason: SPF 30 filters almost 97% of UVB and SPF 50 filters 98%. The difference is just 1% and SPF 50 lotions are lil chalky. To Sunscreen lotion with SPF 30 is better.
Tip No. 3: Know the right duration to tan; DO NOT over expose your skin to the sun
- Our body can produce melanin for just 2 to 3 hours per day.
- Do not sit under the sun for more than 3 hours; because the risk of damage caused by UV rays is high.
Tip No. 4: Take breaks between tanning
- Taking breaks between tanning is better because it will reduce the risk of sunburn and you will have a healthier and long lasting tan.
Tip No. 5: Never forget to wear your hat and shades
- Our eyes and skin around the eyes are very sensitive, so never forget to wear a hat and sunglass.
- If you fail to take proper care then it will result in various eye problems like cataract, eye cancer, etc.